Sidmouth bungalow roof fire accidental, say firefighters

PUBLISHED: 17:29 04 February 2020

Fire engine.

Fire engine.

Archant

A roof fire in a Sidmouth bungalow was caused accidently, firefighters said.

Two appliances from Sidmouth and Ottery St Mary fire stations were called out to an address in Beatlands Corner at around 12.30pm on Tuesday (February 4).

An aerial ladder platform from Danes Castle also attended.

On arrival, crews confirmed there was smoke coming from a bungalow and after discovering the roof space was well alight a fourth fire engine from Budleigh Salterton was requested.

Firefighters wearing six breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using two hose reels, two roof ladders, two extension ladders, small tools and a thermal imaging camera.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said the roof of the property sustained 60 per cent fire and smoke damage.

A fire service spokesman said the cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald