Sidmouth businesses Stand up to Cancer
- Credit: Archant
Staff dressed in orange and black as they joined a campaign to Stand Up to Cancer.
The fundraiser was organised by Cancer Research UK and its Sidmouth shop sold out of cakes and raffle tickets to net £577.
Another seven shops, pubs, cafés and hair salons got involved, donning wigs and tutus to get the message out and took the grand total to £969.
Anne Strudwick, who manages the town’s Cancer Research UK store, said: “There was a great buzz and we got a lot of positive comments about us dressing up.
“We talked to a lot of people who had been touched by cancer, were in remission or knew someone with cancer.
You may also want to watch:
“We raised a lot of money for an amazing cause.”
The main event last Friday was an evening of comedy on Channel 4 that helped net £16million for the charity.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
Sidmouth’s Fore Street shop is always in need of volunteers – drop in to find out more.