Sidmouth butcher celebrates 50 years
- Credit: Archant
A century-old Sidmouth butcher’s shop has toasted John Richards, who has been selecting the best cuts for its customers for 50 years.
Hayman’s Butchers treated him to a buffet and drinks evening at the nearby 1922 club with around 50 friends and past and present members of staff.
The business has been in Stewart Hayman’s family for four generations.
He said: “John’s always been reliable – you could probably count on your hands the number of days he’s been off. He’s very dedicated.”
John, a contemporary of Stewart’s at Sidmouth College, started at the butcher’s shop aged 16 and trained locally.
You may also want to watch:
Now 66, the Peaslands Road resident is its longest-serving member of staff but not the eldest – several of his colleagues are in their sixties and staying on, despite being old enough to retire.
“He’s down to four days but he has no plans to retire just yet,” said Stewart. “He’s been serving some of these people all of his life – it’s the place to be.”
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
The shop celebrated its centenary in 2007 with a street party and the staff resolved to commemorate other important milestones.