Sidmouth Café cooked free Christmas dinner for people with no other plans
- Credit: Sarah Mallett
Staff worked for free and local people donated a variety of food and drink items to a Sidmouth cafe, as it provided a free meal to tackle loneliness on Christmas Day.
A Sidmouth café brought festive cheer to locals by serving a free Christmas Day dinner for people who had nowhere else to be.
Sarah Jane’s provided a three-course meal for around a dozen regular customers, friends and family on December 25 – free of charge.
Proprietor Sarah Mallett put a sign in the café window on the approach to Christmas advertising the event and was overwhelmed by the support it received.
Staff worked for free and people donated a variety of food and drink items towards the special meal, which was enjoyed by all who came.
You may also want to watch:
Sarah said: “I couldn’t have wished for it to go any better.
“It was just friendly and relaxed. It was nice spending the day with the people I see every day.”
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 5 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 6 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 7 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 8 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 9 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 10 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
Sarah hopes the café will be able to hold a free Christmas meal again this year.