Sidmouth Café cooked free Christmas dinner for people with no other plans
- Credit: Sarah Mallett
Staff worked for free and local people donated a variety of food and drink items to a Sidmouth cafe, as it provided a free meal to tackle loneliness on Christmas Day.
A Sidmouth café brought festive cheer to locals by serving a free Christmas Day dinner for people who had nowhere else to be.
Sarah Jane’s provided a three-course meal for around a dozen regular customers, friends and family on December 25 – free of charge.
Proprietor Sarah Mallett put a sign in the café window on the approach to Christmas advertising the event and was overwhelmed by the support it received.
Staff worked for free and people donated a variety of food and drink items towards the special meal, which was enjoyed by all who came.
You may also want to watch:
Sarah said: “I couldn’t have wished for it to go any better.
“It was just friendly and relaxed. It was nice spending the day with the people I see every day.”
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 7 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
Sarah hopes the café will be able to hold a free Christmas meal again this year.