Sidmouth cafe prank pays off
April Fool name change gives Sarah her busiest day of the year
AN April Fools’ Day prank paid off for Sarah Mallett, new owner of the Fort Caf� on Sidmouth’s seafront.
Without telling her landlord, David Burgoyne, Sarah, who took over the caf� near Bedford Lawn car park on January 7, swapped round the a and o from the building’s frontage, and in Fawlty Towers style, rearranged them to read Fart Cof�
“I wasn’t sure if people would notice, and how it would go down, but there was a stream of people taking photographs and some woman from Bergerac in France said she would take it home,” said Sarah, whose mum Jane, who helps her out, used to run the caf� a decade ago.
Sarah said the Sunday turned out to be her busiest day so far, adding: “It was a record so far, I’d like to think some custom came from having a little bit of fun.”
You may also want to watch:
When the building was re-decorated, Sarah noticed the lettering popped on and off.
“It was only changed for the day, from first thing in the morning to the end of play that day,” she said.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Month of the dead is a time to remember loved ones
- 6 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 7 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 8 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 9 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 10 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
“I think the landlord saw the funny side of things. He has a sense of humour.”