Sidmouth cafe prank pays off
April Fool name change gives Sarah her busiest day of the year
AN April Fools’ Day prank paid off for Sarah Mallett, new owner of the Fort Caf� on Sidmouth’s seafront.
Without telling her landlord, David Burgoyne, Sarah, who took over the caf� near Bedford Lawn car park on January 7, swapped round the a and o from the building’s frontage, and in Fawlty Towers style, rearranged them to read Fart Cof�
“I wasn’t sure if people would notice, and how it would go down, but there was a stream of people taking photographs and some woman from Bergerac in France said she would take it home,” said Sarah, whose mum Jane, who helps her out, used to run the caf� a decade ago.
Sarah said the Sunday turned out to be her busiest day so far, adding: “It was a record so far, I’d like to think some custom came from having a little bit of fun.”
You may also want to watch:
When the building was re-decorated, Sarah noticed the lettering popped on and off.
“It was only changed for the day, from first thing in the morning to the end of play that day,” she said.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
“I think the landlord saw the funny side of things. He has a sense of humour.”