Sidmouth cafe prank pays off
April Fool name change gives Sarah her busiest day of the year
AN April Fools’ Day prank paid off for Sarah Mallett, new owner of the Fort Caf� on Sidmouth’s seafront.
Without telling her landlord, David Burgoyne, Sarah, who took over the caf� near Bedford Lawn car park on January 7, swapped round the a and o from the building’s frontage, and in Fawlty Towers style, rearranged them to read Fart Cof�
“I wasn’t sure if people would notice, and how it would go down, but there was a stream of people taking photographs and some woman from Bergerac in France said she would take it home,” said Sarah, whose mum Jane, who helps her out, used to run the caf� a decade ago.
Sarah said the Sunday turned out to be her busiest day so far, adding: “It was a record so far, I’d like to think some custom came from having a little bit of fun.”
When the building was re-decorated, Sarah noticed the lettering popped on and off.
“It was only changed for the day, from first thing in the morning to the end of play that day,” she said.
- 1 Photos: Sidmouth's latest cliff collapses caught on camera
- 2 Ottery couple celebrate platinum wedding anniversary
- 3 Missing woman may be in Sidmouth
- 4 Town council joins protest against Sidmouth bus cuts
- 5 Commonwealth Games work gives Sidmouth student 'amazing experience' of live TV
- 6 Closure confirmed for Sidmouth retirement home
- 7 Heatwave may have caused latest Sidmouth cliff falls
- 8 Time to start preparing for potentially harsh winter
- 9 Residents plagued by aggressive rogue traders
- 10 Post-lockdown images become public art on Sidmouth billboard
“I think the landlord saw the funny side of things. He has a sense of humour.”