Sidmouth care home celebrates first centenarian
ONE-hundred year-old Julia Wheal became Abbeyfield Court s first centenarian last week.
ONE-hundred year-old Julia Wheal became Abbeyfield Court's first centenarian last week.
A telegram from the Queen and morning of celebrations marked Julia's milestone, the first in the residential home's 14 year history.
Julia's life has seen her live and work in London, Essex, Dorset, and, finally Sidmouth, where she moved with late husband George in the early 1980's.
A keen bowler, Julia, who along with George was a member of the town's bowling club, was joined by family and fellow Abbeyfield residents to mark her special day on Monday.
You may also want to watch:
Grand-daughter Susan and son-in-law Peter enjoyed the festivities.
"She (Julia) had a super day and really enjoyed it," said Peter. "We had a very good lunch and all the other guests said it was splendid. Abbeyfield put on a very good show for us.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 5 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 8 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 9 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future