Sidmouth care home celebrates first centenarian
ONE-hundred year-old Julia Wheal became Abbeyfield Court s first centenarian last week.
ONE-hundred year-old Julia Wheal became Abbeyfield Court's first centenarian last week.
A telegram from the Queen and morning of celebrations marked Julia's milestone, the first in the residential home's 14 year history.
Julia's life has seen her live and work in London, Essex, Dorset, and, finally Sidmouth, where she moved with late husband George in the early 1980's.
A keen bowler, Julia, who along with George was a member of the town's bowling club, was joined by family and fellow Abbeyfield residents to mark her special day on Monday.
You may also want to watch:
Grand-daughter Susan and son-in-law Peter enjoyed the festivities.
"She (Julia) had a super day and really enjoyed it," said Peter. "We had a very good lunch and all the other guests said it was splendid. Abbeyfield put on a very good show for us.
- 1 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 2 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 3 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 4 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 5 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 6 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 7 Supermarket makes a super gesture to help community food charity
- 8 Important not to let celebrations get out of hand
- 9 Sidmouth charity shop needs your donations!
- 10 Batty fun activities for all at donkey sanctuary