Sidmouth catch is the REEL deal
Good cod! This whopper of a fish was caught hook, line and sinker by Adam Greenland in Sidmouth last weekend. The 80 cm long small eyed ray weighed in at a gigantic 9lb 8oz. Adam, 14, of Yallop Way, Honiton, was in a group of five when he caught the gia
Good cod! This whopper of a fish was caught hook, line and sinker by Adam Greenland in Sidmouth last weekend.
The 80 cm long small eyed ray weighed in at a gigantic 9lb 8oz.
Adam, 14, of Yallop Way, Honiton, was in a group of five when he caught the giant fish near the groins on Sidmouth seafront last Friday night.
The Honiton Community College student said: "The top of my rod just started flicking so I tightened the reel and my rod was almost pulled over!
You may also want to watch:
"I grabbed it, started reeling it in and my two friends started to reel it in as well.
"I was over the moon when I saw it- I didn't really know what to expect and I was gobsmacked."
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 6 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 9 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
Adam had his photo taken with the ray before putting it back in the sea.
He added: "I've only started sea fishing in the last month or so but I will definitely be doing it more from now on."
Adam's dad, Simon, 41, said: "I witnessed it and it was quite amazing. He was the only one to catch anything. Adam wants to go fishing more now but he'll probably make me go out when it's wet and windy!