Sidmouth catch is the REEL deal
Good cod! This whopper of a fish was caught hook, line and sinker by Adam Greenland in Sidmouth last weekend. The 80 cm long small eyed ray weighed in at a gigantic 9lb 8oz. Adam, 14, of Yallop Way, Honiton, was in a group of five when he caught the gia
Good cod! This whopper of a fish was caught hook, line and sinker by Adam Greenland in Sidmouth last weekend.
The 80 cm long small eyed ray weighed in at a gigantic 9lb 8oz.
Adam, 14, of Yallop Way, Honiton, was in a group of five when he caught the giant fish near the groins on Sidmouth seafront last Friday night.
The Honiton Community College student said: "The top of my rod just started flicking so I tightened the reel and my rod was almost pulled over!
You may also want to watch:
"I grabbed it, started reeling it in and my two friends started to reel it in as well.
"I was over the moon when I saw it- I didn't really know what to expect and I was gobsmacked."
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 4 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 5 Date announced for unveiling of Ottery's Coleridge statue
- 6 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 7 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 8 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 9 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
Adam had his photo taken with the ray before putting it back in the sea.
He added: "I've only started sea fishing in the last month or so but I will definitely be doing it more from now on."
Adam's dad, Simon, 41, said: "I witnessed it and it was quite amazing. He was the only one to catch anything. Adam wants to go fishing more now but he'll probably make me go out when it's wet and windy!