Sidmouth chairman Stuart’s localism hope
THE new chairman of Sidmouth Town Council hopes to see localism continue to flourish during his tenure.
THE new chairman of Sidmouth Town Council wants to see localism continue to flourish during his tenure.
Councillor Stuart Hughes hopes civic leaders can help encourage more people to take an active role in community groups.
“With the Diamond Jubilee and Olympic Games to celebrate next year, there has never been a better time to harness that public spirit for the benefit of the town,” he said.
“I should also like to support our young in taking up sport, whether it be football, cricket, rugby, hockey, athletics, swimming or cycling- which is excellent exercise - for even the not so young.”
Mr Hughes said there are “exciting times” ahead for local government across the country.
“The localism agenda, or Big Society, fits the bill perfectly and, if we adopt the right approach, we can make it work for Sidmouth,” he added.
- 1 Business breakfast aims to link up local professionals
- 2 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 3 New town council chair sets out his aims
- 4 Bugler needed for Sidmouth beacon lighting event
- 5 Cost of living crisis how Sidmouth businesses are coping
- 6 'Thank you' - Ukraine medic moved to tears by donations from Ottery
- 7 Ottery residents struggling with Medical Centre absence
- 8 Mica Paris apologises to Sidmouth as festival concert is moved to following day
- 9 Recycled toy shop's kind gesture to Ukrainian families
- 10 Local slimmer wins prize for low-calorie stew recipe
Mr Hughes said the town council can be proud of achievements like Christmas lighting, the youth project at The Arches, a soon-to-be completed interpretation centre on The Esplanade, and keeping public toilets open.
“That should serve as inspiration for all of us to continue to strive to do more for Sidmouth,” he added.
“Having served 20 years on Sidmouth Town Council, I feel particularly honoured and privileged to be elected as chairman.
“I will do my utmost to fulfil the duties of chairman to the best of my ability and assure you that I will continue to serve the town with my full commitment and enthusiasm.”