Sidmouth charity shop needs volunteers
Voluntary help at Cancer Research UK shop equals cash for research says Sidmouth manager
MORE volunteers are needed by a Sidmouth charity shop to help with sorting donated items to sell.
Sharon Lupu, manager of Cancer Research UK in Fore Street, has had to close the shop on Sundays recently because of lack of staff.
“I am doing five days at the moment,” said Sharon, whose assistant Ben does the sixth day.
She says all ages are welcome to help behind the scenes to keep the shop’s stock supplies ticking over.
You may also want to watch:
“Why not come for a trial? Even the odd hour or two helps us so much,” she said. “We are very flexible and a great fun team to work with.
“Four hours help a week is worth �2,500 cash in research.”
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 4 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 5 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 6 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 9 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 10 Vision Group awards recognise 'champions' who helped Sidmouth pull through lockdown
Sharon recruited two new volunteers who are doing a morning each week, at a cheese and wine evening last month, which raised �200.
Many Sidmouth shops and businesses donated prizes for the draw, done by Richard Eley, chairman of Sidmouth Chamber of Commerce, including first prize of a hamper, given by Pea Green Boat.
“Everyone was really nice about giving us things,” said Sharon, who would like to hear from anyone interested in becoming a shop volunteer on (01395) 577203 or 07970050922.