Sidmouth charity swim back in the water
- Credit: Archant
A 2.2-MILE fundraising sea swim event is appealing for participants to take the plunge as it returns to Sidmouth’s shores for the second year.
The route has been reversed, with swimmers now starting out at Ladram Bay and being welcomed to Sidmouth’s shores by the surf lifesaving club.
Last year’s inaugural event raised £840 for Sidmouth Lifeboat and Chestnut Appeal for Prostate Cancer and the causes are keen to see that record smashed on August 31.
Organiser Rachel Shepperd said: “We’re hoping this year’s event will draw an even bigger crowd and raise as much money as possible.”
Ending in Sidmouth will give the swimmers a bigger beach to aim for, and they will benefit from the facilities and food the surf lifesavers put on offer at their Arches HQ.
Rachel is also looking for sponsors, who will get their names on swim caps and T-shirts.
The event almost reached capacity last year but, this summer, she hopes to see 50-to-60 participants take to the water.
- 1 'Good news - a new restaurant in Sidmouth!'
- 2 Broadband firm apologises for late-night roadworks noise
- 3 Ottery's beautiful and historic church - 'little sister' to Exeter Cathedral
- 4 Sidmouth greenkeepers fighting for the perfect bowling surface
- 5 'A rise in parking charges will hit locals hardest'
- 6 What makes Sidmouth the perfect place to live?
- 7 Major road in Sidmouth to close for THREE months
- 8 Mayor's New Year message and ideas sought for Jubilee celebrations
- 9 New pizza restaurant opens on Sidmouth seafront
- 10 'People are now too smart to fall for Tory culture wars...'
Registration is £30, which covers the cost of the organisation of the event, an event T-shirt and swim cap, and a snack. Everyone taking part is also asked for sponsorship.
Participants should be able to swim around 150 lengths of a 25-metre pool.
To enter, visit www.chestnutappeal.org.uk/events/111-event-sidmouth-swim, or to sponsor the event, call Rachel on 01395 516222.