Sidmouth charity swim back in the water
- Credit: Archant
A 2.2-MILE fundraising sea swim event is appealing for participants to take the plunge as it returns to Sidmouth’s shores for the second year.
The route has been reversed, with swimmers now starting out at Ladram Bay and being welcomed to Sidmouth’s shores by the surf lifesaving club.
Last year’s inaugural event raised £840 for Sidmouth Lifeboat and Chestnut Appeal for Prostate Cancer and the causes are keen to see that record smashed on August 31.
Organiser Rachel Shepperd said: “We’re hoping this year’s event will draw an even bigger crowd and raise as much money as possible.”
Ending in Sidmouth will give the swimmers a bigger beach to aim for, and they will benefit from the facilities and food the surf lifesavers put on offer at their Arches HQ.
You may also want to watch:
Rachel is also looking for sponsors, who will get their names on swim caps and T-shirts.
The event almost reached capacity last year but, this summer, she hopes to see 50-to-60 participants take to the water.
- 1 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 2 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 7 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 10 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
Registration is £30, which covers the cost of the organisation of the event, an event T-shirt and swim cap, and a snack. Everyone taking part is also asked for sponsorship.
Participants should be able to swim around 150 lengths of a 25-metre pool.
To enter, visit www.chestnutappeal.org.uk/events/111-event-sidmouth-swim, or to sponsor the event, call Rachel on 01395 516222.