Sidmouth swimathon teams go to great lengths for charity
- Credit: Archant
A trio of Sid Valley charities and Cancer Research UK will benefit by more than £10,000, raised by last year’s Sidmouth swimathon.
The annual event is organised by the Rotary Club of Sidmouth, whose chosen charities for 2019 were the Gateway Homelessness Action Project, the Admiral Nurse and Sidmouth Lifeboat.
Cancer Research UK was the charity chosen by the four teams from Sidmouth Golf Club.
The event attracted 27 teams, totalling 168 people, who swam 2,889 lengths of Sidmouth swimming pool between them.
They raised £10,262, including £2,450 from the golf club for the cancer charity.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth Rotary will present the cheques in the near future.
Organiser Nigel Sharp said: "On behalf of Sidmouth Rotary I would like to say thank you for the support of all the organisations involved, the team captains and the swimmers that arrive each year and make this such an important fundraiser for charities and good causes in the town."
- 1 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 4 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
The 2020 swimathon will take place on Saturday, October 3.