Sidmouth chimney blaze risk warning

AS SUMMER draws to a close, Sidmouth residents have been urged to keep warm safely, by ensuring their chimneys don t pose a fire risk.

AS SUMMER draws to a close, Sidmouth residents have been urged to keep warm safely, by ensuring their chimneys don't pose a fire risk.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service, the National Association of Chimney Sweeps and The Guild of Master Sweeps have joined forces to urge householders to ensure their chimney is safe, and to have it swept regularly by a registered chimney sweep.

Chimney Fire Safety Week ends on Sunday and Nick Manning, fire service area manager for community safety, said: "With the colder, winter months looming, people will begin to start using open fires and their chimneys again. In order to keep you and your family safe from fire, you need to take necessary steps such as ensuring your chimney is swept regularly, depending upon what fuel you burn and I would urge all householders to have a working smoke alarm in their home."

For more information on chimney safety visit the Herald's website at www.sidmouthherald.co.uk.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter