Sidmouth Choral Society gears up for Christmas concert
PREPARATIONS are under way for Sidmouth Choral Society s 2008 Christmas concert on December 13.
PREPARATIONS are under way for Sidmouth Choral Society's 2008 Christmas concert on December 13.
The event, in Sidmouth Parish Church will feature Pergolesi's "Magnificat" and Vaughan Williams' "Fantasia on Christmas Carols".
Under the directorship of conductor, Timothy Phillips, sibngers will be accompanied by the church organ played by Robert Millington and a 12 piece orchestra which will also perform Corelli's "Christmas Concerto".
Society member Joan Edgecumbe said: "Choral singing appeals to and is suited to all ages, as is reflected in our membership. As well as members aged 20 plus, they still have some whose membership began as long ago as 1946. Frances Spence first joined in 1946 under the conductor Clifford Brown, followed in 1950 by Vallerie French, William Lake joined in 1953 and Mary Herring a few years later."
You may also want to watch:
The society's spring concert next year will be a "Miscellany of Sacred and Secular Choruses" for which rehearsals begin in January.
Budding singers who would like to join in are invited to join in rehearsals in St Francis Hall, Woolbrook on Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. Contact society secretary Andrew Scott on (01395) 519797 for more information.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 6 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 9 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again