Sidmouth church on the market for £350,000
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth United Reformed Church has been put on the market after its £350,000 price tag proved too much for the town band.
Estate agent Perry Bishop and Chambers’ listing for the 1850 property said it would suit a variety of commercial uses or could be converted into one or more homes.
Sidmouth Town Band has outgrown its base so considered the venue as a new HQ last year but it has now reached a deal to use St Francis Church in Woolbrook Road.
The listing for the 4,000 sq foot Chapel Street church says: “The present use includes clinics, surgeries, crèches, day nurseries and consulting rooms.
“In our view, in light of its town centre position, the property would suit a variety of commercial activities or could be converted for single or multiple residential use, all of which would be subject to planning permission being granted.”
You may also want to watch:
Elder Tony Burrow told the Herald last year – when Sidmouth Town Band was interested – that the United Reform Church is selling the premises because the congregation has dwindled to around 20 members.
The church is not listed but stands within the town centre’s designated conservation area. It features natural stone elevations under a pitched slate roof with a school room to the rear of the site, again having stone elevations under slated and flat roofs.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 8 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
It offers ‘considerable’ outside space, offering on-site car parking.
The property is offered for sale by informal tender. Offers should be made in writing by noon on May 2.
Special conditions of sale and covenants will apply.
There will be a number of viewings next month. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.