Sidmouth churches welcome youth worker Kate
JERSEY born Kate swaps career as a lawyer to become Sid Valley Mission Community Youth Worker
JERSEY born Kate Hamilton, pictured, has swapped her career as a lawyer to become Sid Valley Mission Community Youth Worker for the six Anglican churches in the Sid Valley.
“For the last few weeks I’ve been getting to meet people and get to know folk. There is a lovely group at All Saints’ Church and others with youth groups I’ve contacted to get an idea of what is happening,” she said.
Kate, who lives with husband Chris, a surveyor with Savills, in Whimple, will be based at All Saints but her role is quite broad, taking in St Francis Church, Sidford’s St Peter’s, Sidbury Church, Salcombe Regis and Sidmouth Parish Church as well.
It is quite a change from her work as a property lawyer, which she did for 10 years.
You may also want to watch:
“It was challenging and interesting, working with a great bunch of people, but in the end I was not excited by selling properties.
“This is a passion, working with young people.”
- 1 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 2 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 3 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 4 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
When Kate first married, she and Chris went to a thriving family church in Sevenoaks in Kent and on moving to Devon were looking for something similar, so she set up a youth group for 10 to 13-year-olds at St Mary’s Whimple.
Now she is working full-time for the Sid Valley churches and enjoying every moment.
“I’ve been meeting with guys from other churches doing similar work, as well as folk within All Saints and other clergy. I am very much left to my own devices. I know what my job specification is but it is down to me to make it happen. I am a very motivated person.”