Sidmouth churches welcome youth worker Kate
JERSEY born Kate swaps career as a lawyer to become Sid Valley Mission Community Youth Worker
JERSEY born Kate Hamilton, pictured, has swapped her career as a lawyer to become Sid Valley Mission Community Youth Worker for the six Anglican churches in the Sid Valley.
“For the last few weeks I’ve been getting to meet people and get to know folk. There is a lovely group at All Saints’ Church and others with youth groups I’ve contacted to get an idea of what is happening,” she said.
Kate, who lives with husband Chris, a surveyor with Savills, in Whimple, will be based at All Saints but her role is quite broad, taking in St Francis Church, Sidford’s St Peter’s, Sidbury Church, Salcombe Regis and Sidmouth Parish Church as well.
It is quite a change from her work as a property lawyer, which she did for 10 years.
“It was challenging and interesting, working with a great bunch of people, but in the end I was not excited by selling properties.
“This is a passion, working with young people.”
- 1 Night-time fish thief makes daring raids on Otter Garden Centre pond
- 2 Exciting discovery as Sidmouth observatory reopens
- 3 'I am pro-vaccine, but I am also pro-choice'
- 4 Sidmouth on the climb while Otters rebuild
- 5 Litter pickers shocked by amount of waste in river Otter
- 6 Sidmouth Repair Cafe to hold first session of the New Year
- 7 'Stunning' donation made to Dream-A-Way by HMS Defender
- 8 'Generous' donations kept Sidmouth Lifeboat afloat in 2021
- 9 Property firm on lookout for development land in East Devon
- 10 Mental health awareness and fundraising at Sidmouth
When Kate first married, she and Chris went to a thriving family church in Sevenoaks in Kent and on moving to Devon were looking for something similar, so she set up a youth group for 10 to 13-year-olds at St Mary’s Whimple.
Now she is working full-time for the Sid Valley churches and enjoying every moment.
“I’ve been meeting with guys from other churches doing similar work, as well as folk within All Saints and other clergy. I am very much left to my own devices. I know what my job specification is but it is down to me to make it happen. I am a very motivated person.”