Sidmouth College pupil prepares for ‘life-changing trip’ to Ecuador
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth College pupil is gearing up for a four-week volunteering mission in South America.
Lauren Brewster, 15, will spend a month in Ecuador next year helping to build houses and schools.
She needs to raise £3,980 to fund the trip and has so far raised £2,400.
Lauren is looking forward to doing her bit, as well as getting the chance to go into the Amazon rainforest.
She said: “I cannot wait to get out there. It is going to be such an amazing, life-changing trip.
You may also want to watch:
“These are the opportunities I have and I have the chance at this time in my life to make a difference to people.”
The trip is one of many voluntary schemes being organised by CAMPS International across Africa, Asia and South America.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 9 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
A trip to the sub-continent peaked Lauren’s interest when representatives from CAMPS International visited her school.
She chose to spend four weeks in South America, where she will work through four stages of volunteering.
The first stage will involve helping to build homes and schools for the community in Ecuador. The second stage will see her go into the Amazon to re-plant trees as well as taking part in wildlife conservation work. For the third stage, Lauren will take part in ‘large-scale’ beach clean-up operations.
The final stage will see Lauren attempt to earn her Professional Association of Divers (PADI) open water diving certificate.
Lauren has been raising funds for the trip by doing car washes, bake and car boot sales. She also took part in a sponsored 22-mile walk from Lyme Regis to Budleigh.
Businesses are also being offered a T-shirt advertising sponsorship.