Sidmouth councillor encourages street party applications
PUBLISHED: 15:57 02 April 2012
Street party organisers have until April 20 to submit application says Devon County Council
COMMUNITIES planning to celebrate the Queen’s diamond jubilee with a street party have until Friday, April 20, to submit an application.
More than 50 applications have so far been received by Devon County Council for the free service it is offering to help people who want to hold street parties over the extended Bank Holiday from June 2 to 5.
The notice period for closures has been reduced from three months to six weeks, especially for the occasion, but people only have a few weeks left to apply.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, DCC cabinet member for highways and transportation, said: “We’ve been encouraged to see so many applications already from people wanting to mark the occasion.
“The county council is doing all it can to make it as easy as possible for people to hold an event in their community, but there’s not long to go now and people must get their applications to us before the deadline of April 20.”
Anyone planning a jubilee street can apply to DCC for a temporary Traffic Regulation Order to close a minor road, free of charge.
Organisers will only face a charge if No Waiting cones are needed.
If the street party is planned for more than a minor road, the special events procedure must be followed.
For more details call 0845 1551004, email email@example.com or visit www.devon.gov.uk/ttrostreetparty where you can download an application form.
Completed forms should be sent to Devon County Council, Highway Management, PO Box 494, Newton Abbot, TQ12 9GL or email firstname.lastname@example.org.