Sidmouth couple 65 years ‘went by so quickly’
A Sidmouth couple said their last 65 years together have flown by as they celebrated their anniversary on Wednesday.
Terry and Joyce have been together since after the war, when he left the RAF to become a police officer and she was a telephonist.
They marked the special day with a meal at the Hare and Hounds.
“The time has just gone by so quickly,” said Terry, 88.
“We’ve been so lucky.”
You may also want to watch:
Joyce, 85, met her future husband at the Berkshire church where they later married – once the registrar gave the go-ahead.
“We had to get permission as Joyce was under 21,” said Terry.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 6 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 7 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 8 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 9 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
His real name is Edmund, but the new name he was given during the war stuck – even with his parents.
Joyce suggested they moved to Sidmouth, Terry’s childhood home, and they settled down in Tyrrell Mead 24 years ago.
Their 60th was a ‘whole big day’, celebrated with a meal in the Chattery, and now they are looking ahead to their next milestone together.
The couple have a grandson, a daughter and a son, who is moving to Honiton to be closer to them.