Sidmouth couple’s 65 years ‘went by so quickly’
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth couple said their last 65 years together have flown by as they celebrated their anniversary on Wednesday.
Terry and Joyce Lee have been together since after the war, when he left the RAF to become a police officer and she was a telephonist.
They marked the special day with a meal at the Hare and Hounds.
“The time has just gone by so quickly,” said Terry, 88.
“We’ve been so lucky.”
You may also want to watch:
Joyce, 85, met her future husband at the Berkshire church where they later married – once the registrar gave the go-ahead.
“We had to get permission as Joyce was under 21,” said Terry.
- 1 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 2 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 3 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 4 Gold award success for Sidmouth and 'outstanding' community projects praised by South West In Bloom
- 5 Five Things to do in East Devon this October half Term
- 6 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 7 Read all about it! Toto pays a visit to the bookshop
- 8 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 9 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
His real name is Edmund, but the new name he was given during the war stuck – even with his parents.
Joyce suggested they moved to Sidmouth, Terry’s childhood home, and they settled down in Tyrrell Mead 24 years ago.
Their 60th was a ‘whole big day’, celebrated with a meal in the Chattery, and now they are looking ahead to their next milestone together.
The couple have a grandson, a daughter and a son, who is moving to Honiton to be closer to them.