Sidmouth couple tie the knot in their 80s
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth newlyweds John and Josephine Sermon are showing that you are never too old to get married - after tying the knot in their 80s.
The couple, both aged 86, were wed in front of friends and families in St Francis Church, Woolbrook.
John and Josephine, who had both previously been widowed, have known each other for nearly 70 years.
Josephine went to school in Nottingham with John’s first wife, Mary.
The couple worked together in the ’60s and ’70s when John was a building contractor. John was married to Mary, and Josephine to husband Harry, for nearly 60 years.
You may also want to watch:
John, who is a member of the Rotary Club of Sidmouth, said: “We continued a friendship during the whole time. Everything that was mine or hers is now ours. Instead of two families, we are now one big one.”
During the ceremony, which was conducted by the Reverend Stephen Knight, the families exchanged a blue and pink candle.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 7 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 8 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 9 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
- 10 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
John and Josephine then lit a white candle from the flames to symbolise the joining of the two families.
The couple thanked the Reverend, who was celebrating 40 years of ordination.
The newlyweds enjoyed a honeymoon in Cornwall. Their wedding took place at Easter.