Sidmouth dogfish catch wins Abi Black Rod title
King of Chit Mike Dibble presents trophy at Sidmouth’s Black Rod contest
THIS year’s Black Rod Open Fishing competition took place on Sunday, September 12 off Sidmouth’s seafront.
Now in its eleventh year, 28 competitors fished between Alma Bridge and Chit Rock, casting out into the calm water, bathed in glorious sunshine.
Adrian Ricketts, landlord at the Swan Inn, reports: “After six hours contestants reconvened back at the Swan Inn for the weigh-in and presentation of the coveted trophy and prizes.
“After much discussion and weighing an eventual winner emerged.
You may also want to watch:
“The grand prize was awarded by Mike Dibble, the new King of Chit, to previous winner Abi Bennet with an award winning 2.75lb dogfish.”
Joint second prizes went to Mike Bennet and Andy Eric Steele with lesser specimen fish.
- 1 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 7 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
Adrian said praise should go to Jacob Salter, entering for the first time and catching his first mackerel, beating many of Sidmouth’s finest.