Sidmouth dogfish catch wins Abi Black Rod title
King of Chit Mike Dibble presents trophy at Sidmouth’s Black Rod contest
THIS year’s Black Rod Open Fishing competition took place on Sunday, September 12 off Sidmouth’s seafront.
Now in its eleventh year, 28 competitors fished between Alma Bridge and Chit Rock, casting out into the calm water, bathed in glorious sunshine.
Adrian Ricketts, landlord at the Swan Inn, reports: “After six hours contestants reconvened back at the Swan Inn for the weigh-in and presentation of the coveted trophy and prizes.
“After much discussion and weighing an eventual winner emerged.
You may also want to watch:
“The grand prize was awarded by Mike Dibble, the new King of Chit, to previous winner Abi Bennet with an award winning 2.75lb dogfish.”
Joint second prizes went to Mike Bennet and Andy Eric Steele with lesser specimen fish.
- 1 Church hosts first wedding since before lockdown
- 2 East Devon's first zero-emission hire car now on the road
- 3 Plea for collectors to support town's air show
- 4 Wars of the Roses and end of the medieval era
- 5 Official accreditation for Sidmouth Vikings
- 6 A tale of two cities made more accessible by air
- 7 Urgent action sought to improve Four Elms Hill road safety
- 8 Art society gear up for return of exhibition
- 9 Sidmouth bowlers suffer Madeira defeat
- 10 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
Adrian said praise should go to Jacob Salter, entering for the first time and catching his first mackerel, beating many of Sidmouth’s finest.