Sidmouth dogfish catch wins Abi Black Rod title
King of Chit Mike Dibble presents trophy at Sidmouth’s Black Rod contest
THIS year’s Black Rod Open Fishing competition took place on Sunday, September 12 off Sidmouth’s seafront.
Now in its eleventh year, 28 competitors fished between Alma Bridge and Chit Rock, casting out into the calm water, bathed in glorious sunshine.
Adrian Ricketts, landlord at the Swan Inn, reports: “After six hours contestants reconvened back at the Swan Inn for the weigh-in and presentation of the coveted trophy and prizes.
“After much discussion and weighing an eventual winner emerged.
“The grand prize was awarded by Mike Dibble, the new King of Chit, to previous winner Abi Bennet with an award winning 2.75lb dogfish.”
Joint second prizes went to Mike Bennet and Andy Eric Steele with lesser specimen fish.
- 1 New store launches in Sidmouth's Fore Street
- 2 Preparations begin in earnest for Folk Festival
- 3 The sky's the limit as parachute jump raises £2,426 for Hospiscare
- 4 Stark warning on spending from Devon finance chief
- 5 Double good deed for Brownies as litter pick raises money for food bank
- 6 Woman seriously injured after motorway bridge fall
- 7 Date set for Straitgate Quarry appeal hearing
- 8 Ukrainian refugee supporter Mukie opens community cafe
- 9 New direction and new chair at Vision Group for Sidmouth
- 10 'Donkey work' boosts wildflower growth at sanctuary
Adrian said praise should go to Jacob Salter, entering for the first time and catching his first mackerel, beating many of Sidmouth’s finest.