Sidmouth dogfish catch wins Abi Black Rod title
King of Chit Mike Dibble presents trophy at Sidmouth’s Black Rod contest
THIS year’s Black Rod Open Fishing competition took place on Sunday, September 12 off Sidmouth’s seafront.
Now in its eleventh year, 28 competitors fished between Alma Bridge and Chit Rock, casting out into the calm water, bathed in glorious sunshine.
Adrian Ricketts, landlord at the Swan Inn, reports: “After six hours contestants reconvened back at the Swan Inn for the weigh-in and presentation of the coveted trophy and prizes.
“After much discussion and weighing an eventual winner emerged.
You may also want to watch:
“The grand prize was awarded by Mike Dibble, the new King of Chit, to previous winner Abi Bennet with an award winning 2.75lb dogfish.”
Joint second prizes went to Mike Bennet and Andy Eric Steele with lesser specimen fish.
- 1 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 5 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
Adrian said praise should go to Jacob Salter, entering for the first time and catching his first mackerel, beating many of Sidmouth’s finest.