Sidmouth Duck Race promises to be a quacker
- Credit: Archant
A PAIR of worthy causes have been announced as the beneficiaries of next month’s Sidmouth Lions Club Great Duck Derby.
The event will take place on the River Sid on Sunday, July 14, and this year will raise money for both Sledgehammer Cancer Fund and Sidmouth Lifeboat.
The main, yellow, duck race is from the Sid Park Road pedestrian bridge to the weir by Salcombe Road and a total of more than £1,000 of cash prizes - from £20 to £400 - will be allocated to the ‘owners’ of the first nineteen that cross the finishing line.
Prior to Duck Derby day, tickets for the yellow ducks can be purchased for £1 each from 10am to 5pm at a Lions stand outside the Co-operative in High Street from July 2 to 5 and outside Lidl in Woolbrook Road, on July 6 and 13.
Tickets are also available from No.83 for Cards in High Street and from Annies in Old Fore Street.
You may also want to watch:
Fun on July 14 will start shortly after 2pm with children’s, and parents’ duck and spoon races.
There is also a duck picture competition for children up to 11 years old.
- 1 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 2 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 3 GP teams have seen 14% increase on pre-pandemic levels
- 4 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 5 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 6 High scoring in the Sidmouth Stablefords
- 7 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
- 8 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
Artistic youngsters can now start to create their works of art, in the form of drawings, paintings or montages of ducks.
Children will also have the opportunity this year to enjoy the lions’ new ‘catch a duck from the pool’ game.