Sidmouth estate agent Mike’s fundraising drive for prostate cancer
- Credit: Archant
The organiser of Sidmouth’s regular classic car show is hitting the road in his vintage vehicle to raise money for Prostate Cancer UK.
Mike Lavers will have Geoff Copper, another ‘mad old car nut’, as his co-driver and navigator as they join a tour of Jaguar XKs on a coastal drive around Britain.
They will be taking part in the Westcountry sections on June 13 and 14 and are already 85 per cent of the way to their £2,000 target for the charity.
Mike, who retired this week after 44 years as an estate agent, said: “I’ve had a number of friends who have had to be treated for prostate cancer, and I’ve also lost a couple of friends to it. When the opportunity arose to help in this fairly minor way I decided I would. I would be most grateful of any support.”
A similar drive last year in E-type Jaguars raised £60,000 and the organisers are hoping to hit a similar target this summer.
You may also want to watch:
Mike – who got his first vintage car aged 13 when we was living on a farm – will be behind the wheel of his 1960 XK, fixed hood coupe model that is quite rare for its 3.8-litre engine.
Anyone interested in supported the appeal can visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Michael-Lavers or send a cheque payable to ‘Prostate Cancer UK’ to Mike at 1 Combe Hayes, Sidmouth, Devon, EX10 9XX.
The classic car show he organises on behalf of Sidmouth Chamber of Commerce will return to the cricket pavilion on June 15 next year.
- 1 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 4 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 5 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 6 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 7 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 8 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 9 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start