Sidmouth family’s £755 thank-you to cancer charities that supported them
- Credit: Marion Sharland
A celebratory disco has helped to raise £785 for a pair of cancer charities that supported a Sidmouth family when a loved one was undergoing treatment.
Marion Sharland organised a family evening at the 1922 Social Club in Sidmouth in aid of FORCE Cancer Charity and Exeter Leukaemia Fund (ELF) to thank them for supporting her sister Heather, who is now in remission.
Heather was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma cancer, and her sister said they wanted to do something to give back to the causes for their support at a time when they most needed it.
More than 60 people attended the evening on January 26, enjoying a quiz, music and food and drink.
Generous businesses also donated 63 prizes for a raffle to see the final total shoot up to £785.50.
You may also want to watch:
Marion said: “My brother suggested the disco as a celebration, as Heather is in remission, but we thought we’d like to give back something to those charities that helped this happen. We all need support now.
“Everyone enjoyed themselves –nobody wanted to go home at the end of the night.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 7 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 8 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
- 9 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
“It was crazy, the number of prizes that were donated.”
She thanked Ian Thomas, Jean Ryan and the staff of the social club for hosting the event and helping with food and the quiz.