Sidmouth Festival service success
NEARLY 500 people attended Sidmouth s festival service at Connaught Gardens on Sunday, supporting the Rotary Polio Plus campaign through a collection there.
NEARLY 500 people attended Sidmouth's festival service at Connaught Gardens on Sunday, supporting the Rotary Polio Plus campaign through a collection there.
It was a special occasion for one couple, involved in the planning of the Christians Together in Sidmouth event.
Mike and Joan Edgecumbe celebrated their ruby wedding anniversary after the service with a quiet lunch out with brother Richard and his wife, who had their 40th anniversary a few weeks before.
"We gave up our celebrations to do the service and will probably have a get-together for family and friends in September at St Francis Church, where we got married," said Mike.
Meanwhile he is busy organising three Sunday afternoon Hymns in Connaught Gardens events, the first of which is this weekend at 3.30pm by the bandstand. It will be led by Methodist minister the Reverend Brian Hadfield.
The following two Sundays will be conducted by the Reverend Graham Tarn (URC) and Methodist lay preacher Janet Bell.
- 1 'Some businesses may not survive Sidmouth roadworks'
- 2 Sidmouth Hospice at Home fulfils local man's final wish
- 3 Abolishing BBC licence fee is 'sparpling' from bigger issue
- 4 British Heart Foundation shop in Sidmouth urgently seeking volunteers
- 5 School steps up safety at road crossing areas
- 6 Temperatures drop to -5C in Devon - but how's the weekend looking?
- 7 'Good news - a new restaurant in Sidmouth!'
- 8 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
- 9 Careless charity shop donors cost Devon Air Ambulance money
- 10 Record level of police numbers will soon have a positive effect on our communities
"I have taken on the loudspeaker equipment and could do with some strong people of any age to help put it up," said Mike, who is disabled with back problems.
"If anyone can help they would be very welcome to contact me as soon as possible on (01395) 512511.