Sidmouth firefighters help tackle huge house blaze
SIDMOUTH and Ottery St Mary fire fighters helped to fight a massive roof blaze at Combe House in Combe Raleigh this morning.
SIDMOUTH and Ottery St Mary fire fighters helped to fight a massive roof blaze at Combe House in Combe Raleigh on Wednesday morning.
They were among 15 fire crews called to the blaze, which was reported in the early hours of the morning by members of the public.
Stuart Collings, Sidmouth's fire station officer, said the private house was empty and under renovation.
"It was a case of everyone hands on doing general fire-fighting," said Mr Collins, whose team of 11 helped quell the flames which are believed to have destroyed around 90 percent of the building.
You may also want to watch:
"The builders turned up for work as usual and found it devastated."
He said he understood its owner was due to move in shortly.
- 1 Summer play season returns safe and sound after 'challenging year'
- 2 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 3 Tragedy strikes the racing world
- 4 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 5 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 6 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 7 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 8 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 9 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 10 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families