Sidmouth firefighters in Great North Run
Sidmouth firefighters don full fire-fighting kit to run half marathon for leukemia charity
TWO Sidmouth firefighters will be among 48,000 runners taking part in this year’s Great North Run.
Shaun Bagwell, 32, and Jack Burgess, 21, both retained firefighters at the Sidmouth station, will be wearing full kit – tunic, boots, helmet and breathing apparatus – weighing some 22 kilos, to run the half-marathon distance in Newcastle, equivalent to a half marathon.
They want to raise money for Children with Leukemia charity and also the Firefighter’s Charity, which has supported the duo.
“We are hoping to raise as much as we can, we have to raise a minimum of �400,” said Shaun, an electrician who lives in Tyrell Mead.
He and TV aerial engineer Jack, who lives at Anstis Court, have done some training together and both play five-a-side football.
If people in Sidmouth and Sid Valley would like to sponsor the firefighters, they can put cheques or cash in envelopes through the fire station postbox in Woolbrook Road.
- 1 Lifeguards return to Sidmouth beach
- 2 Service veterans 'crowdfund' to buy Queen's Colours flag for Sidmouth
- 3 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
- 4 Injured coast path walker airlifted to hospital
- 5 Neil Parish wont stand in Honiton and Tiverton by-election
- 6 Ceremony launches installation of defibrillator at Ottery Cricket Club
- 7 Property of the Week: Overthorpe, Cliff Road, Sidmouth
- 8 Comedy and horror at Sidbury Manor in film being released next month
- 9 Sidmouth Rugby Club awards ceremony
- 10 Preparations underway for Salcombe Regis Fair while car parking remains a hot topic
“If they are not happy about dropping money in, they could leave contact details and we will get back to them,” Shaun said.
Shaun has run the Bath half marathon and hopes he and Jack can complete the Great North Run in around three hours.
“We have been practicing on a treadmill with the kit on, but not a lot,” he said. “We are looking forward to doing it and want to do it in a competitive time.”
His ambition is to run the New York marathon in a couple of years.
*People willing to boost the duo’s fundraising coffers can also post cheques to them c/o Sidmouth Fire Station, Woolbrook Road, EX10 9UU.