Coronavirus in East Devon: Sidmouth Folk Festival called off
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Folk Festival has been cancelled this year because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
It will be the first year without a festival in an unbroken 65-year run, and the organisers say they have made the decision ‘with an extremely heavy heart’.
All ticket holders will be contacted directly to arrange rollover or refund options.
The festival was scheduled to run from Friday, July 31 to Friday, August 7, with headline artists including Steeleye Span, Fisherman’s Friends, Show of Hands, Eddi Reader, Jon Boden and the Remnant Kings and Eliza Carthy.
Dates have now been set for the 2021 festival – Friday, July 30 to Friday, August 6 – and preparations are already under way to make it ‘an extra special party for both the town and the folk music and dance lovers who visit each year’.
You may also want to watch:
The official statement from the festival team reads:
“It is with an extremely heavy heart that we have had to take the decision to cancel this year’s Sidmouth Folk Festival for the wellbeing of all involved.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
“Breaking a continuous history of 65 festivals may feel devastating, but the wellbeing of all involved in attending and running the festival is paramount. The ongoing Covid-19 pandemic clearly makes it impossible to proceed with the 2020 event.
“Plans are already underway for the 2021 festival in which you can expect so much of what our audiences love about this grand old festival. We will be talking to artists and suppliers in the next few days.
“We will be contacting all 2020 ticket buyers directly over the next few weeks with a variety of ticket rollover and refund options. Please bear with us whilst we get all the necessary arrangements in place. We will be back to you as soon as we can.
“We know that this announcement will cause disappointment and inconvenience. We will all miss catching up with old friends and being together at the seaside this year. We thank everyone for their understanding and support.
“Please keep checking the website at www.sidmouthfolkfestival.co.uk for any new developments.
“We look forward to reuniting everyone on our return next year. In the meantime, we wish everyone and their loved ones the very best of health in these strange times.”