Sidmouth Folk Week fun begins!
THOUSANDS of people have descended on Sidmouth as this year s popular FolkWeek festival gets underway. The event begins today (Friday) and hundreds of performances have been organised at various locations around the town.
THOUSANDS of people have descended on Sidmouth as this year's popular FolkWeek festival gets underway.
The event begins today (Friday) and hundreds of performances have been organised at various locations around the town.
Last night two events were held in the build up to the festival, including a 'Welcome to Sidmouth 2009' performance in the Market Square and 'An Evening with Pam Ayres' at the Ham Marquee.
Grant aid from Devon County Council is helping FolkWeek to welcome an extended range of groups to the town, broadening the international flavour of music on offer this year.
You may also want to watch:
These groups include the London Bulgarian Choir, Spooky Men's Chorale from Australia and Stream of Sound from the West Midlands.
Councillor Stuart Barker, Cabinet Member for Adult and Community Services, said: "I am delighted that the County Council is one of the main sponsors of Sidmouth Folk Week this year.
- 1 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 2 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 3 Devon played a major role in the English Civil War
- 4 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 5 Euro 2020 sweepstake winnings donated to support cancer charity
- 6 Festival benefits connected businesses as well
- 7 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 8 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 9 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 10 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
"I hope everyone - performers, visitors and local residents - really enjoys the rich programme of concerts on offer."
Councillor Stuart Hughes, the County Councillor for Sidmouth and Sidford, said: "Every year Sidmouth welcomes people from far and wide to share in some of the best folk music on offer. As the local county councillor for Sidmouth, I would like to welcome everyone to this year's Folk Week, for which again the organisers have put together a wonderful programme.
"Folk Week gives a welcome boost to the local economy but more importantly it shows everyone just how much Sidmouth has to offer in terms of music, dance - and just having a really good time!"
The festival runs until Friday, August 7.
See this week's Sidmouth Herald for a free 16 page guide to Folk Week