Sidmouth Folk Week fun begins!
THOUSANDS of people have descended on Sidmouth as this year s popular FolkWeek festival gets underway. The event begins today (Friday) and hundreds of performances have been organised at various locations around the town.
THOUSANDS of people have descended on Sidmouth as this year's popular FolkWeek festival gets underway.
The event begins today (Friday) and hundreds of performances have been organised at various locations around the town.
Last night two events were held in the build up to the festival, including a 'Welcome to Sidmouth 2009' performance in the Market Square and 'An Evening with Pam Ayres' at the Ham Marquee.
Grant aid from Devon County Council is helping FolkWeek to welcome an extended range of groups to the town, broadening the international flavour of music on offer this year.
You may also want to watch:
These groups include the London Bulgarian Choir, Spooky Men's Chorale from Australia and Stream of Sound from the West Midlands.
Councillor Stuart Barker, Cabinet Member for Adult and Community Services, said: "I am delighted that the County Council is one of the main sponsors of Sidmouth Folk Week this year.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 10 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
"I hope everyone - performers, visitors and local residents - really enjoys the rich programme of concerts on offer."
Councillor Stuart Hughes, the County Councillor for Sidmouth and Sidford, said: "Every year Sidmouth welcomes people from far and wide to share in some of the best folk music on offer. As the local county councillor for Sidmouth, I would like to welcome everyone to this year's Folk Week, for which again the organisers have put together a wonderful programme.
"Folk Week gives a welcome boost to the local economy but more importantly it shows everyone just how much Sidmouth has to offer in terms of music, dance - and just having a really good time!"
The festival runs until Friday, August 7.
See this week's Sidmouth Herald for a free 16 page guide to Folk Week