Memorial football match in memory of Sidmouth father of two
- Credit: Archant
Members of Matt Portman’s family will pull on their football kit in aid of Devon Air Ambulance for a memorial match on Sunday, September 8.
Members of Matt Portman's family will pull on their football kit in aid of Devon Air Ambulance for a memorial match on Sunday, September 8.
Mr Portman, who is the eldest of three brothers, died at the age of 35 while on holiday in Cyprus in June.
Sidmouth's business community paid tribute to the 'superb' father-of-two, who was the town's chamber of commerce treasurer.
His brother David, who is a football coach in Cardiff, has organised the match at Sidmouth Football Club.
You may also want to watch:
He has been helped by his brother Robert, Jay Thorne from the football club and Robert's girlfriend Sophie.
Mr Portman said: "I contacted the club and spoke to Jay who said he knew Matt, everyone knew Matt well. He helped organise the ground and people to play in the match and calls to make sure everything is okay.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 6 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 10 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
"The majority of people are going to enjoy it. It's meant to be fun to watch and enjoyable to watch. I am really looking forward to it, it's been my focus for many months.
"Hopefully the youngsters can have a kick about as well."
The family will be facing members of Matt's five-a-side football team, including friend Piers Edwards.
The proceeds from raffle ticket sales on the day will be donated to Devon Air Ambulance, a cause Matt supported while working at Thomas Westcott chartered accountants.
Members of the public are welcome to come along for the match which kicks off at 1pm.
Following the match ,a raffle will be held with prizes including tickets to watch Exeter City, Exeter Chiefs and Torquay United and donations from Sidmouth businesses.