Sidmouth footbridge still possible say campaigners
MEP confirms no EU law to prevent lower bridge at planned Connaught Garden walkway site
A MEETING with East Devon MP Hugo Swire on Saturday has encouraged footbridge campaigners to fight on.
It has taken more than three years for Freddy Wedderburn and Brian Black to ascertain there is no EU law to say any bridge from Manor Road car park to Connaught Gardens would need 18ft 8ins clearance.
The height of the bridge, and its impact on the site, stymied a planning application to EDDC.
Now Mr Swire has passed the duo a letter from Giles Chichester MEP for the South West, which states: “My researcher has spoken to both the Department for Transport and the Highways Agency…and has found there to be no particular EU law that suggests that bridges must have a clearance of 18ft 8ins.”
You may also want to watch:
A lower bridge of 14ft 10ins would cost far less than the �300,000 originally envisaged and have less impact on the area, they say.
“We have wasted three years on the assumption we had to deal with the EU in Brussels,” said Brian. “We didn’t want it to be a major disruption to Connaught Gardens and the car park.”
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
Freddy added: “Hugo will support this. There is a need for this local community facility.”