Sidmouth friends raise a glass to toast Joe’s 104th birthday
- Credit: Archant
The secret to a long life is ‘everything in moderation’ according to a World War Two veteran who celebrated his 104th birthday last week.
Joe Daniels was joined by friends and fellow Royal British Legion (RBL) members, who raised a glass of sherry in his honour at Fourways Residential Home.
Described as a ‘lovely gentleman’, Joe has lived in Sidmouth for around 33 years and moved to the Glen Road home in July. He said it was staff members there who helped make his birthday special.
Speaking about his longevity, the keen fisherman said: “Moderation is the key – everything in moderation.
“I was treating it [my birthday] just as another day - I never planned or organised or did anything whatsoever. It was the staff here who made it a huge success.
You may also want to watch:
“I made a contribution by buying a couple of drinks and I enjoyed the day a lot. It’s very pleasant here, but it’s nice to see old friends.”
Joe said he had many adventures in the forces before settling in Dorset for a while. Then, one day, he packed his fishing rods and other essentials into his car and took off.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 8 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 9 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
- 10 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
“I did not know where I was going, I just went and ended up in Sidmouth,” said Joe.
Speaking about his birthday celebrations, Fourways’ care manager Linda Grant said: “He was very happy because the RBL members all came up and his normal visitors.”
She added that Joe is a lovely gentleman and very independent.
Gill Vosper – the chef at Fourways – baked and decorated a fruit cake especially for him.
Joe’s nephews live abroad, but each sent him a bottle of his favourite tipple – whiskey – to mark his 104th birthday.
The veteran founded both Sidmouth and Ottery St Mary Probus Clubs in the 1980s, is a member of Sidmouth branch of the Royal British Legion and life member of the Royal Signals Association.