Gardens now ‘no go area’ due to yobs
- Credit: Archant
Hordes of teenagers have made popular gardens in the town a ‘no go area’ for residents on Friday and Saturday evenings, it’s claimed.
Staff at the Clock Tower restaurant and council staff at Connaught Gardens have complained of having to clear up litter, broken glass and uprooted plants.
Last weekend proved a tipping point, with the police alerted to youths causing a nuisance and playing music.
Youths have also been spotted on the roof of the shelters.
Stewart Fraser, restaurant owner, said: “The Gardens are now a no go area for the residents of the town on a Friday and Saturday evening.
You may also want to watch:
“Something needs to be done about it and it needs to be done now.”
The showcase gardens play a key role in Sidmouth’s winning record in the Britain in Bloom contest. Popular band concerts are held on Sunday evenings.
- 1 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 2 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 9 Local storyteller looks to folklore for reminders that every action has consequences
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
But restaurant staff came to work in the morning to find the area strewn with broken glass, cans and cigarette ends.
“This was the worst it’s ever been,” said Mr Fraser.
“Our bins were trashed and we got an email from the council saying there was rubbish everywhere.
“The park can be such a magical and beautiful place. It’s not all teenagers but a few who are ruining the gardens for everyone,” he added.
A spokesman for East Devon District Council said ‘depleted’ police resources were prioritising the area and the number of young people was ‘putting some people off’ using the gardens in the evening.
Police had suggested ‘private security patrols’ might help.
The spokesman said: “We entirely empathise with Mr Fraser and we share his concerns about the situation in the area,
“Over the weekend there was further vandalism where flower beds were trampled and plants were pulled out, causing hundreds of pounds in damage.
“Previously we have not had a budget for these patrols but, given the situation, we have now been given the go-ahead for this action which we will trial for a period through the summer.”