Sidmouth gearing up for Madd Jam
- Credit: Archant
THESE are the scenes that await Sidmouth seafront at a special event organised by police for young people next month.
A scooter and BMX bonanza – now named Sidmouth Madd Jam – will take place on Saturday, April 5, as neighbourhood officers want to engage with normally hard-to-reach youths.
Ramps will be set up in the turning circle at the Ham and professional riders will wow crowds with displays, writes Stefan Gordon.
The Herald reported earlier this month how the neighbourhood policing team has organised for world-renowned supplier Madd Gear Pro to provide the festivities.
Giveaways, competitions with prizes, a barbecue and more will feature.
Sergeant Andy Squires, who secured £500 from his bosses to arrange the event, said plans were ‘gathering pace’.
It is hoped the fun will give police the chance to speak to youngsters about issues such as the dangers of underage drinking and legal highs, as well as offering advice on how to keep themselves safe.
- 1 Body of woman found near Sidmouth
- 2 Ottery St Mary - a shopping paradise
- 3 South West warning for drought issued
- 4 A flying visit to a bird reserve and a view on Sidmouth's charity shops - Toto's latest woofings...
- 5 Photos: Sidmouth's latest cliff collapses caught on camera
- 6 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 7 Ottery couple celebrate platinum wedding anniversary
- 8 Heatwave may have caused latest Sidmouth cliff falls
- 9 Closure confirmed for Sidmouth retirement home
- 10 Time to start preparing for potentially harsh winter
Town councillors were so impressed by the ‘fantastic’ idea they gave Sgt Squires an unprecedented round of applause after hearing of the plan at their meeting on Monday.
The ‘jam’ will take place from 10am to 4pm.