Sidmouth gearing up for Madd Jam
- Credit: Archant
THESE are the scenes that await Sidmouth seafront at a special event organised by police for young people next month.
A scooter and BMX bonanza – now named Sidmouth Madd Jam – will take place on Saturday, April 5, as neighbourhood officers want to engage with normally hard-to-reach youths.
Ramps will be set up in the turning circle at the Ham and professional riders will wow crowds with displays, writes Stefan Gordon.
The Herald reported earlier this month how the neighbourhood policing team has organised for world-renowned supplier Madd Gear Pro to provide the festivities.
Giveaways, competitions with prizes, a barbecue and more will feature.
You may also want to watch:
Sergeant Andy Squires, who secured £500 from his bosses to arrange the event, said plans were ‘gathering pace’.
It is hoped the fun will give police the chance to speak to youngsters about issues such as the dangers of underage drinking and legal highs, as well as offering advice on how to keep themselves safe.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 3 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 4 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 5 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
- 6 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 7 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 8 As fuel poverty bites we ask who cares for the carers?
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 Gold award success for Sidmouth and 'outstanding' community projects praised by South West In Bloom
Town councillors were so impressed by the ‘fantastic’ idea they gave Sgt Squires an unprecedented round of applause after hearing of the plan at their meeting on Monday.
The ‘jam’ will take place from 10am to 4pm.