Sidmouth gets its own speed gun
- Credit: Archant
A PIECE of kit solely for the use of Sidmouth police will mean officers can crack down on one of residents’ biggest gripes – speeding motorists.
The resort no longer has to share a monitoring gun with another patch after town councillors splashed £1,250 on the reconditioned item.
Police have vowed to put the Ultra Lyte LTI 20/20 Laser Speed Detection Device to good use.
Sergeant Andy Squires told the Herald: “Ever since I landed here in July last year, one thing that keeps coming up at surgeries, meetings and in the street is speeding.
“We’ve done a lot of work, particularly in the Sidford area, but have been limited with being able to actually enforce it because we had to share a speed detection device with another station. It was not always available or we had to go and collect it.
You may also want to watch:
“To have our own dedicated one here in Sidmouth means we can pop out any time – it will always be ready for use and both the neighbourhood team and response officers [based at Sidmouth Police Station] will use it.
“It will enable us to educate and enforce – it’s not just about handing out tickets.
- 1 As fuel poverty bites we ask who cares for the carers?
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 4 East Devon affordable housing task force
- 5 Alderman honour for councillor devoted to serving community
- 6 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 7 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 8 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 9 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 10 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
“We’re grateful to the town council for supporting us. It’s right and proper we were able to link up with them on this in a partnership effort.”
Sidmouth Town Council chairman John Hollick said: “Over the years we are constantly contacted by members of the public who protest at speeds in certain roads.
“This was a golden opportunity to purchase this reconditioned device at a realistic price.
“If people are aware the local police have actually got one, it will make them a bit more alert.”