Sidmouth gets super-fast broadband boost
BRITISH Telecom (BT) has announced a super-fast broadband boost for Sidmouth.
High-speed fibre technology will become available to the town by spring as part of the latest phase of a �2.5 billion roll-out by the firm.
Nearly 100,000 premises in Devon now have access to super-fast speeds, with another 56,500 already planned for later this year.
Jon Reynolds, BT’s South West regional director, said the technology could bring an economic boost and assist people into new kinds of work - including starting up their own businesses.
He added: “In these tough economic times, this exciting technology will give a big boost to local businesses and households. Sophisticated communications are the lifeblood of any successful community. Super-fast broadband can give our businesses a significant competitive edge, helping them save money and improve their services at the same time.
You may also want to watch:
“Fibre broadband also has the potential to change the face of public services and revolutionise entertainment at home.”
Councillor Paul Diviani, leader of East Devon District Council, said: “This is an important and welcome advance for Sidmouth and comes at a time when there is a real demand for faster broadband. High-speed digital communications will be the defining factor in our objective to boost the economy of East Devon with new jobs in successful knowledge-based industries. At a time of economic uncertainty, BT’s investment in super-fast broadband allows us to create new opportunities, growth and future potential. More please!”
- 1 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 4 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year