Sidmouth Gig Club celebrate another good year with Awards Night
- Credit: Archant
This year, Sidmouth Gig Racing Club celebrated another good season at the Woodlands Hotel on the final Saturday of February, writes Nick Thompson.
Forty members and friends met in the evening for drinks and dinner, which was followed by the annual awards event.
The master of ceremonies was Gina Rodgers, the club’s chair, ably assisted by Barry Morton, who is noted for the fancy dress events he masterminds for the club in the Raft Race and Boxing Day swim.
The main rowing award is for Best Crew. This went to the Ladies’ C crew for their performance in the Rame Regatta.
The rowers were Julie Turner, Sarah MacCourt, Amanda Bleazard, Linda Wheate, Kirsteen Welch and Megan Rodgers, plus cox Gina Rodgers.
You may also want to watch:
The awards for the best new rowers went to Val Ranger and Grant Clarke, and the most improved rowers were Pete Blackmore and Rachel Horwood.
Top veterans were Sarah MacCourt and Alan Rodgers, and special awards went to Sarah Green and John Richardson.
- 1 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 2 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 3 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 7 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
The best young rower was Jess Green and the Clubman Trophy went to Megan Rodgers, while the ‘Extra Mile’ went to Mike Perrington.
The prestigious Splash Award went to Nick Thompson for his ‘epic fail’ by spending an hour photographing two rowing crews and a canoe using a camera with no memory card.
Finally, a special award was given to our retiring chairman, Jeremy Cloke, who received a framed enlargement of a photo taken of our early morning Solstice Day row.
The club is looking forward to the 2019 season and welcomes new members. To find out more, search online for ‘Sidmouth Gig Club’ or email firstname.lastname@example.org