Sidmouth Gig Club crew tackle all-day row for an all-day Beer breakfast
- Credit: Archant
Last Sunday saw an intrepid group of rowers from Sidmouth Gig Club take part in a first for the club in a highly entertaining Breakfast in Beer row, writes Jeremy Cloke.
Two crews set off in superb sunny weather from Sidmouth in Little Picket (back recently from the Scillies) and Alma, our GRP boat.
The first aim was to get to Branscombe beach where crews were changed and the new teams rowed on to the breakfast destination at Duckey’s café on the beach at Beer.
With a sheer shingle ridge and deep water at Beer the two gigs were moored off and crews were treated to a short ride to the beach on board one of the Beer pleasure boats. A dry landing unheard of!
Over 30 rowers and supporters tucked in to their breakfasts, but eventually it was time to return via the pleasure boat (now much lower in the water) for the crews starting the return trip to Sidmouth without changing.
You may also want to watch:
The mist decided to set in on the return trip, but both crews were back at Sidmouth by 1.30pm.
Thanks were expressed to Megan Rodgers for organising such a successful social morning.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 7 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 10 Mighty Greens conquer Plym Trail marathon
This is one of several social rows planned for this summer to involve as many club members as possible; others planned include a Barbecue at Budleigh and a longer row to Turf Lock for lunch.
As the competitive season hots up, next Saturday the club is competing at Weymouth Regatta in the Jurassic League, where breakfasts will definitely have to be slightly more ‘conservative!’