Sidmouth Gig Club marathon fundraising row
- Credit: Archant
As they look forward to the new rowing season and celebrating their 10th birthday, members of the Sidmouth Gig Club are planning a marathon relay row to raise funds for the club and Sidmouth Lifeboats, writes Nick Thompson.
The challenge will take place this Saturday (March 23) from 1pm at the Sidmouth Bike Studio on Alexandria Industrial Estate.
Club members will row relays of 2km on three of the club’s ergo rowing machines, one of which has been kindly donated by the Keith Owen Fund.
The total distance is 26.2 miles or 42,195 metres and the target is to raise £500 to be divided equally between the Gig Club and Sidmouth Lifeboats.
The money raised will enable the club to maintain their three gig boats, buy other essential kit and help to fund the cost of attending regattas. In recognition of the invaluable lifeline provided to everyone who enjoys the beautiful Sidmouth seaside, the club will be sharing the money raised with Sidmouth Lifeboats as a thank you for their service.
You may also want to watch:
If you would like to support these rowers by sponsoring the team or coming to cheer them along, please contact Megan Rodgers (email@example.com).
The Sidmouth Gig Club offers a warm welcome to new members, whatever their ability. We have around 80 members and are a sociable club with lots of non-rowing activities.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 4 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 5 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 6 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 7 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 8 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 9 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
Members can choose to row for pleasure or take part in competitive regattas in the South West and further afield. Plans for 2019 include a trip to Scotland in September as well as taking part in the annual World Gig Championships in the Isles of Scilly in May. There is also a growing youth section which welcomes youngsters from age 13 and over. If you are interested in joining the club or coming along to a taster session, please search online for “Sidmouth Gig Club” or contact the Membership Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.