Sidmouth gig crew row to victory at Lyme Regis where they defeat a crew from Bermuda
- Credit: Archant
The recent bad weather took its toll on many events in the West Country, not least Gig Rowing along the Jurassic Coast.
Lyme Regis Gig Club had planned a regatta for August 10/11, but that has to be postponed.
For the first time, the Sunday of the two-day meeting was to be devoted to a new level of competitors, over 60's, which would be referred to as Masters.
Hitherto the age groups included veterans at 40, and super-vets at 50.
Sidmouth Gig Club has many competitive rowers over 60, and a few over 70, so a Master's category was much welcomed.
You may also want to watch:
Also, a party of rowers were visiting from Bermuda, and they were naturally disappointed to miss the regatta so a 'Mini-Masters' event was arranged for Monday (August 12) with ladies and men's crews from Lyme Regis, Sidmouth and Bermuda competing.
The first race of the day was the men's event which saw the Sidmouth crew finish third.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 5 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 8 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 9 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
Sidmouth ladies came second in their race, and, in the mixed race, the Sidmouth A crew won a thrillingly close contest, winning by a very narrow margin.
The weather was warm and sunny, and the Sidmouth success was celebrated with a drink at one of the Lyme Regis sea-front pubs.
During the 'celebration' one rower was heard to quip: "It's not often that Sidmouth beat a whole country', said in reference to the Bermudan crew being beaten!
Sidmouth Gig Club offers a warm welcome to new members, whatever their ability.
The club has around 100 members and are a sociable club with lots of non-rowing activities.
There is also a growing youth section which welcomes youngsters from age 13 and over.
If you are interested in joining the club or attending a 'taster session' then search on line for 'Sidmouth Gig Club' or contact the membership secretary by email at email@example.com