Sidmouth girlguides get set for centenery extravaganza
GIRLGUIDES from Sidmouth and Ottery will take part in a special celebration marking the national launch of the movement s centenary. Around 200 youngsters from the local districts, which also includes Honiton, will meet at Escot Park tomorrow (Saturday) f
GIRLGUIDES from Sidmouth and Ottery will take part in a special celebration marking the national launch of the movement's centenary.
Around 200 youngsters from the local districts, which also includes Honiton, will meet at Escot Park tomorrow (Saturday) for the fun-packed party.
Rainbows, Brownies and Guides as well as their leaders and guests of honours will join together and they will be treated to a range of activities.
For the girls, entertainment includes a bouncy castle, circus skills and the use of Escot Park facilities as well as plate painting and a graffiti wall.
And for the whole group, a centenary video tracing back the last one hundred years of Girlguiding UK will be shown for past and present members.
There will be tea, a cake-cutting ceremony and people will even have the chance to take part in a campfire singalong.
- 1 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 2 Preparations underway for Salcombe Regis Fair while car parking remains a hot topic
- 3 Building more homes alone won't solve housing crisis
- 4 Our library really is the jewel in Ottery's crown
- 5 Comedy and horror at Sidbury Manor in film being released next month
- 6 Concern over Sainsburys parking restriction plans
- 7 Levelling Up funding could make a real difference in Devon
- 8 Is 'no dig' gardening lazy or are we just replicating nature?
- 9 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 10 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
Chris Chapman, district commissioner, said: "This is a very special event for us- the first of a few from September 2009 to October 2010, and we have some key messages to put across. It is important we make the public aware that we are a modern organisation relevant to girls today."
Although some past members of Girlguiding will be in attendance at the party, Sidmouth District will also be holding another event later in the year where all local former members will be invited.
* See next week's Herald for photos of the event.