Sidmouth girlguides get set for centenery extravaganza
GIRLGUIDES from Sidmouth and Ottery will take part in a special celebration marking the national launch of the movement s centenary. Around 200 youngsters from the local districts, which also includes Honiton, will meet at Escot Park tomorrow (Saturday) f
GIRLGUIDES from Sidmouth and Ottery will take part in a special celebration marking the national launch of the movement's centenary.
Around 200 youngsters from the local districts, which also includes Honiton, will meet at Escot Park tomorrow (Saturday) for the fun-packed party.
Rainbows, Brownies and Guides as well as their leaders and guests of honours will join together and they will be treated to a range of activities.
For the girls, entertainment includes a bouncy castle, circus skills and the use of Escot Park facilities as well as plate painting and a graffiti wall.
You may also want to watch:
And for the whole group, a centenary video tracing back the last one hundred years of Girlguiding UK will be shown for past and present members.
There will be tea, a cake-cutting ceremony and people will even have the chance to take part in a campfire singalong.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 7 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 10 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Chris Chapman, district commissioner, said: "This is a very special event for us- the first of a few from September 2009 to October 2010, and we have some key messages to put across. It is important we make the public aware that we are a modern organisation relevant to girls today."
Although some past members of Girlguiding will be in attendance at the party, Sidmouth District will also be holding another event later in the year where all local former members will be invited.
* See next week's Herald for photos of the event.