Sidmouth goes global when tour is televised
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Sidmouth will go global when television crews capture the Tour of Britain’s 10th anniversary on camera next month.
The country’s biggest race is being screened on both ITV4 and British Eurosport after being successfully televised live for the first time last year.
Sidmouth is hosting the start of the sixth stage of the event on Friday, September 20, from where it will end in its first ever summit finish, on Haytor on Dartmoor.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council’s cabinet member for highways, said: “It’s a fantastic opportunity for millions of people worldwide to see Devon’s beautiful coast and moorland as well as our communities which will all provide a stunning backdrop to the stage.
“Hopefully this exposure will inspire people who watch the coverage to pay us a visit in future to discover what a great cycling county we are.”
You may also want to watch:
As well as live coverage, both channels will also be broadcasting daily highlights.
In 2012, the Tour of Britain was shown in 124 countries worldwide to over 288 million homes.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 3 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 4 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
Last year’s Devon stage generated more than £7.3million in the county in a record breaking year watched by more than 220,000 spectators along the route in Devon.
In the past seven years that Devon has featured in the race, it has brought in more than £21million to the local economy.