Sidmouth granddad to tackle Everest
Fundraising stalwart Baz only has one lung!
A FUNDRAISING Sidmouth granddad with only one lung will cap off decades of gruelling global charity challenges by tackling Mount Everest.
Plucky pensioner Baz Breadmore hopes residents can next week help him add to the tens of thousands of pounds he has raised for good causes over 30 years.
Despite losing a lung when he was just two-years-of-age, Baz, 71, has run two London Marathons, cycled the length of Israel, walked 75 miles along the Great Wall of China and trekked 16,500 feet up Kilimanjaro, collecting a whopping �48,000.
The retired graphic designer wants to finish on a high-literally- by climbing to Everest base camp to boost the British Heart Foundation.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s my last big charity event so I can get to the �50,000 mark. I’m going to finish in a big way!,” said Baz.
“I’ve done all sorts, but this is the toughest by far.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 3 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Month of the dead is a time to remember loved ones
- 6 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 9 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
“Having one lung won’t hold me back. I keep pretty fit.”
The granddad of four will take on the 16,500 vertical mile climb in March next year for the British Heart Foundation.
Baz needs to raise �4,000 before he sets off and vital fundraising for the trek starts on Wednesday, (September 1) when tickets go on sale for a variety night in the Manor Pavilion.
The November 13 evening of music, comedy and drama, will see an award-winning Sidmouth Amateur Dramatics Society (SADS) play come to the town for the first time.
Fun will feature Avril Best, Mo Cuthbert, Brian Ress and Ashley Leeds among a host of local talent.
Tickets (�10) are available form the Manor Pavilion on (01395) 514413.