Sidmouth group folds after raising £340,000 for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
Fundraisers who netted more than £340,000 over 43 years to help people affected by cancer met for one last time.
Several members of the Sidmouth and District Macmillan Cancer Support Fundraising Committee retired, so the group has been brought to a close.
Mervyn Grattan will continue supporting the charity and Gabby Macadam and Pam Ward will organise the town’s annual street collection.
Suzie Warren, the area fundraising manager for Devon and Cornwall, said: “We are so sad to be losing this fantastic group, which has done so much for so many over the years.
“It was great that recent and past members could come together for a social evening to celebrate all that the committee has achieved.
You may also want to watch:
“We are extremely grateful for all of their fundraising.”
Fundraising manager Bridget Hill said the charity is ‘very lucky’ that Mervyn, Gabby and Pam will continue to support it.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
- 9 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
Sheadded: “It was my great pleasure to present certificates to the members and thank them for all of their hard work.
“Macmillan services will continue to be available for the people of Sidmouth and one day it would be great to start a new fundraising group in the area.”
Anyone interested in getting involved with local fundraising for Macmillan can contact Bridget on 07801 307003.