Sidmouth group folds after raising £340,000 for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
Fundraisers who netted more than £340,000 over 43 years to help people affected by cancer met for one last time.
Several members of the Sidmouth and District Macmillan Cancer Support Fundraising Committee retired, so the group has been brought to a close.
Mervyn Grattan will continue supporting the charity and Gabby Macadam and Pam Ward will organise the town’s annual street collection.
Suzie Warren, the area fundraising manager for Devon and Cornwall, said: “We are so sad to be losing this fantastic group, which has done so much for so many over the years.
“It was great that recent and past members could come together for a social evening to celebrate all that the committee has achieved.
You may also want to watch:
“We are extremely grateful for all of their fundraising.”
Fundraising manager Bridget Hill said the charity is ‘very lucky’ that Mervyn, Gabby and Pam will continue to support it.
- 1 Church hosts first wedding since before lockdown
- 2 East Devon's first zero-emission hire car now on the road
- 3 Plea for collectors to support town's air show
- 4 Wars of the Roses and end of the medieval era
- 5 Official accreditation for Sidmouth Vikings
- 6 A tale of two cities made more accessible by air
- 7 Urgent action sought to improve Four Elms Hill road safety
- 8 Art society gear up for return of exhibition
- 9 Sidmouth bowlers suffer Madeira defeat
- 10 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
Sheadded: “It was my great pleasure to present certificates to the members and thank them for all of their hard work.
“Macmillan services will continue to be available for the people of Sidmouth and one day it would be great to start a new fundraising group in the area.”
Anyone interested in getting involved with local fundraising for Macmillan can contact Bridget on 07801 307003.