Sidmouth’s guides need you to volunteer
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth’s girl guiding sector is pleading for more volunteers to give up their time to ensure they can continue providing ‘incredible’ experiences for youngsters.
Guide leader Lorna Beard says it is critical to secure new blood to relief pressure on the small group of leaders in charge of nearly 140 girls aged five to 18.
Volunteers are needed to help the group carry out maintenance on their Lawn Vista headquarters, become leaders and helpers and help with publicity and social media.
Lorna said over the last year the groups have made rafts in the Byes, gone ‘champing’ camping in Sidmouth Parish Church and experienced what it would be like to be a part of an emergency landing at Flybe’s Training Academy.
The guide leader said: “We have three or four leaders and we are so short at the moment, everybody is doing so much and it’s going to come to a point where they cannot continue. We are all volunteers.
You may also want to watch:
“We have a fabulous time and we do incredible things but we need more people to do these things.”
Grace Essex, a member of the Trefoil Guild, said prospective leaders will be put through training which they can do at a pace that suits them.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
She added: “The grown ups have just as much fun as the girls do. You are doing it for the girls but the adults are doing things they wouldn’t usually do in their normal lives.”
To find out more information email 1st Sidmouth Guides at email@example.com