Sidmouth guitar teacher quits after 30 years
- Credit: Archant
A guitarist whose successful tuition career began with an advert in the Herald three decades ago is giving up teaching – but will continue playing.
Steve McSmith was initially taught by the acoustic guitarist, singer and songwriter Wizz Jones while at Watford College in 1972, training as a printer.
He worked as a printer in London for many years, but always wanted to move to the coast, having originally come from Swansea.
When he was made redundant, he moved to Sidmouth, advertised himself as a guitar teacher, and never looked back.
He has become a well-known character as a teacher, performer and PA man, especially during Sidmouth Folk Festival where he and his students performed live in Dukes and The Anchor Inn.
You may also want to watch:
He has also raised thousands of pounds through charity concerts.
Although he is now giving up teaching, he will continue to play and perform with his band, The McSmith.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 4 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 5 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 6 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 7 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 8 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 9 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
- 10 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair