Sidmouth guitar teacher quits after 30 years
- Credit: Archant
A guitarist whose successful tuition career began with an advert in the Herald three decades ago is giving up teaching – but will continue playing.
Steve McSmith was initially taught by the acoustic guitarist, singer and songwriter Wizz Jones while at Watford College in 1972, training as a printer.
He worked as a printer in London for many years, but always wanted to move to the coast, having originally come from Swansea.
When he was made redundant, he moved to Sidmouth, advertised himself as a guitar teacher, and never looked back.
He has become a well-known character as a teacher, performer and PA man, especially during Sidmouth Folk Festival where he and his students performed live in Dukes and The Anchor Inn.
You may also want to watch:
He has also raised thousands of pounds through charity concerts.
Although he is now giving up teaching, he will continue to play and perform with his band, The McSmith.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 3 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 4 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support