Sidmouth Herald readers rally to props appeal
OUR readers have done it again – helping to provide furniture and props for a forthcoming show at the Manor Pavilion in June.
OUR readers have done it again - helping to provide furniture and props for a forthcoming show at the Manor Pavilion in June.
Ray Pickworth directs Keith Waterhouse and Willis Hall's North Country comedy Celebration, being staged next month by Sidmouth Amateur Dramatic Society.
After an appeal in the Sidmouth Herald two weeks ago, he has received offers of two settees and armchairs from Tipton St John, a pair of flying ducks from Sidmouth and a radiogram from Seaton.
All he urgently needs now are 16 old-fashioned steel tubular chairs with canvas seats and backs, for the 1960's hit show, which opens at Sidmouth's theatre on Tuesday, June 16 and runs until Saturday, June 20.
You may also want to watch:
"This style of seating was used in practically every church hall in the country until recently, when most were replaced by a more comfortable and modern version," said Ray.
"Perhaps some of these older style chairs are languishing in some hall basement or little used room in a building somewhere locally.
- 1 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 2 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 6 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 7 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 8 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 9 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 10 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
If anyone can provide these chairs, Ray, who can be contacted on (01395) 568578, promises complimentary tickets and a VIP welcome to a performance of Celebration as a thank you.