Sidmouth Herald readers rally to props appeal
OUR readers have done it again – helping to provide furniture and props for a forthcoming show at the Manor Pavilion in June.
OUR readers have done it again - helping to provide furniture and props for a forthcoming show at the Manor Pavilion in June.
Ray Pickworth directs Keith Waterhouse and Willis Hall's North Country comedy Celebration, being staged next month by Sidmouth Amateur Dramatic Society.
After an appeal in the Sidmouth Herald two weeks ago, he has received offers of two settees and armchairs from Tipton St John, a pair of flying ducks from Sidmouth and a radiogram from Seaton.
All he urgently needs now are 16 old-fashioned steel tubular chairs with canvas seats and backs, for the 1960's hit show, which opens at Sidmouth's theatre on Tuesday, June 16 and runs until Saturday, June 20.
You may also want to watch:
"This style of seating was used in practically every church hall in the country until recently, when most were replaced by a more comfortable and modern version," said Ray.
"Perhaps some of these older style chairs are languishing in some hall basement or little used room in a building somewhere locally.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 3 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 4 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
- 5 As fuel poverty bites we ask who cares for the carers?
- 6 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 7 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 8 East Devon affordable housing task force
- 9 Alderman honour for councillor devoted to serving community
- 10 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
If anyone can provide these chairs, Ray, who can be contacted on (01395) 568578, promises complimentary tickets and a VIP welcome to a performance of Celebration as a thank you.