Sidmouth Hospital work cuts bed tally
BED numbers at Sidmouth Victoria Hospital will be nearly halved for three months while refurbishments take place. There will only be 12 beds spaces at the hospital - reduced from 22 - until January when the hospital will be fully re-opened. Richard Anders
BED numbers at Sidmouth Victoria Hospital will be nearly halved for three months while refurbishments take place.
There will only be 12 beds spaces at the hospital - reduced from 22 - until January when the hospital will be fully re-opened.
Richard Anderson, interim deputy assistant director of health and social care (eastern area) for NHS Devon, said: "Due to increased demand during the closure of Axminster hospital, we are completing essential upgrades and refurbishments at both Sidmouth and Seaton hospitals.
"In order to accomplish these as efficiently as possible, beds numbers at these hospitals have been temporarily reduced to 12 beds for a period of three months."
You may also want to watch:
Work carried out at Sidmouth Victoria Hospital includes the renovation and re-build of the nurses' station, complete with fire retardant curtains to ensure it is fire compliant, and a new floor for the day room.
A deep clean process will also take place and other essential maintenance upgrades, according to a Primary Care Trust spokesperson.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Month of the dead is a time to remember loved ones
- 6 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 7 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 8 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 9 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 10 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
Seaton Hospital bed spaces have also been reduced to 12 while refurbishments are carried out there.
Mr Anderson added: "On 4 January 2010 and on completion of all scheduled work, we plan to fully reopen at Seaton and 11 at Sidmouth hospitals meaning that they will offer 22 and 23 beds respectively."
When it re-opens there will be one extra bed space and the NHS will be holding a drive to recruit additional staff.
Mr Anderson said: "We will also be recruiting extra staff for both these hospitals over the next three months so that we are not reliant on temporary staff once the beds are at full capacity."
Axminster Hospital is due to reopen on October 12 with 20 bed spaces.