Sidmouth Hospital work cuts bed tally
BED numbers at Sidmouth Victoria Hospital will be nearly halved for three months while refurbishments take place. There will only be 12 beds spaces at the hospital - reduced from 22 - until January when the hospital will be fully re-opened. Richard Anders
BED numbers at Sidmouth Victoria Hospital will be nearly halved for three months while refurbishments take place.
There will only be 12 beds spaces at the hospital - reduced from 22 - until January when the hospital will be fully re-opened.
Richard Anderson, interim deputy assistant director of health and social care (eastern area) for NHS Devon, said: "Due to increased demand during the closure of Axminster hospital, we are completing essential upgrades and refurbishments at both Sidmouth and Seaton hospitals.
"In order to accomplish these as efficiently as possible, beds numbers at these hospitals have been temporarily reduced to 12 beds for a period of three months."
You may also want to watch:
Work carried out at Sidmouth Victoria Hospital includes the renovation and re-build of the nurses' station, complete with fire retardant curtains to ensure it is fire compliant, and a new floor for the day room.
A deep clean process will also take place and other essential maintenance upgrades, according to a Primary Care Trust spokesperson.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 9 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
Seaton Hospital bed spaces have also been reduced to 12 while refurbishments are carried out there.
Mr Anderson added: "On 4 January 2010 and on completion of all scheduled work, we plan to fully reopen at Seaton and 11 at Sidmouth hospitals meaning that they will offer 22 and 23 beds respectively."
When it re-opens there will be one extra bed space and the NHS will be holding a drive to recruit additional staff.
Mr Anderson said: "We will also be recruiting extra staff for both these hospitals over the next three months so that we are not reliant on temporary staff once the beds are at full capacity."
Axminster Hospital is due to reopen on October 12 with 20 bed spaces.