Sidmouth hosts 60th celebrations
CELEBRATIONS to mark the 60th anniversary of East Devon branch of the Devonshire Association for the Advancement of Science, Literature and the Arts, took place at Sidmouth s Manor Pavilion Theatre on Friday.
CELEBRATIONS to mark the 60th anniversary of East Devon branch of the Devonshire Association for the Advancement of Science, Literature and the Arts, took place at Sidmouth's Manor Pavilion Theatre on Friday.
A birthday cake was cut by branch chairman Marienne Carnochan and DA president Rachel Thomas CBE.
To a packed theatre, international award-winning wildlife filmmaker and TV producer Andrew Cooper gave a 60th anniversary lecture: Around the World in 80 BBC Wildlife Films from Africa to the Arctic, Hawaii to the Himalayas and Scilly Daffodils to Devon.
Mr Cooper, a biologist and anthropologist by training, is best known for his work with the BBC Natural History Unit based in Bristol.
You may also want to watch:
His documentary The Farm that Time Forgot ranked among the highest rating Natural World documentaries and won a Royal Television Society award for the best network documentary.
It also provoked the biggest response to a wildlife documentary recorded by the BBC.
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
- 3 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 4 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 5 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 6 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 7 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 8 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
In Devon he has formed Wildlink, enabling many to share in the on-going life of Church Farm, Haccombe.
Mr Cooper is also an author, whose books include East Devon Pebblebed Heaths.
The East Devon branch of DA will have more Sidmouth links at its annual meeting in February when Dr George Wilkins will talk about The Lockyer Family in Sidmouth.