Sidmouth hosts 60th celebrations
CELEBRATIONS to mark the 60th anniversary of East Devon branch of the Devonshire Association for the Advancement of Science, Literature and the Arts, took place at Sidmouth s Manor Pavilion Theatre on Friday.
CELEBRATIONS to mark the 60th anniversary of East Devon branch of the Devonshire Association for the Advancement of Science, Literature and the Arts, took place at Sidmouth's Manor Pavilion Theatre on Friday.
A birthday cake was cut by branch chairman Marienne Carnochan and DA president Rachel Thomas CBE.
To a packed theatre, international award-winning wildlife filmmaker and TV producer Andrew Cooper gave a 60th anniversary lecture: Around the World in 80 BBC Wildlife Films from Africa to the Arctic, Hawaii to the Himalayas and Scilly Daffodils to Devon.
Mr Cooper, a biologist and anthropologist by training, is best known for his work with the BBC Natural History Unit based in Bristol.
You may also want to watch:
His documentary The Farm that Time Forgot ranked among the highest rating Natural World documentaries and won a Royal Television Society award for the best network documentary.
It also provoked the biggest response to a wildlife documentary recorded by the BBC.
- 1 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 4 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 5 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 6 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 7 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 8 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
In Devon he has formed Wildlink, enabling many to share in the on-going life of Church Farm, Haccombe.
Mr Cooper is also an author, whose books include East Devon Pebblebed Heaths.
The East Devon branch of DA will have more Sidmouth links at its annual meeting in February when Dr George Wilkins will talk about The Lockyer Family in Sidmouth.