Sidmouth hosts launch of Devon Open Studios art event
SIDMOUTH S Kennaway House will host the launch of year s Devon Open Studios, the largest visual arts event in the county.
SIDMOUTH'S Kennaway House will host the launch of year's Devon Open Studios, the largest visual arts event in the county.
Simon Timms, head of culture at Devon County Council, will join artists and local councillors at the newly-restored Regency property in Coburg Road, on Wednesday, September 2, to mark the start of Devon Open Studios 2009.
Work by nearly 30 artists from Sidmouth and other East Devon towns, as well as Exeter, will be on view and guides will be available to find local participating artists and directions to their studios.
The event officially opens to the public on Saturday, September 5, and countywide, some 240 artists will exhibit at 111 venues, showcasing a wealth of artistic talent.
You may also want to watch:
Spokeswoman Dorothy Muir said: "Devon Open Studios is increasingly important in both the cultural calendar and in contributing to the county's creative economy.
"In 2008 there were 17,000 visitors and sales and commissions of �139,000 were generated during the two-week event."
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Month of the dead is a time to remember loved ones
- 6 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 7 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 8 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 9 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 10 Nature's own nocturnal acrobats gracing the skies in Devon
Sidmouth artists involved include Victoria Goodman of Manstone Mead, who works in oils to paint Sidmouth's coastline, and father/daughter team, Emma and Sandy Macfadyen, will be displaying their work.
Emma will show her sculptures at East Lodge, Harcombe, Sidford, while Sandy's paintings will be at Higher Weston Farm.
Beer artist Emma Molony, who featured on Kirstie Allsopp's TV programme Homemade Home print making wallpaper, will be demonstrating print making at The Bomb Shelter, Fore Street, Beer, during Devon Open Studios.